‘BHARAT’ DARSHAN

HITAVADA CAPTURES A GLIMPSE OF SANJAY JOG
Free, frank and fearless, that’s Sanjay Jog, ‘Bharat’ of Ramayana serial, for you in a nutshell.
Handsome, suave, cat-eyed and fluent in five languages, Sanjay has not allowed fame and popularity to go to his head.
Born and brought up in Nagpur, except for some part of his childhood spent in Pune, Sanjay migrated to Bombay to pursue a career in films. He obtained his diploma in acting from the Filmalaya Academy of Cine-arts and TV, and followed it up with a Diploma in Direction from the same institute.
He made his debut in films while still a ‘student,’ with the Marathi film ‘Saaplaa’ (The Trap), which bombed at the box office.
He then had a series of hits to his credit, including five golden jubilees and two diamond jubilees. He has acted in over 32 Marathi, Hindi and Gujarati films so far.
He had been offered the role of ‘Laxman’ in the Ramayan serial initially, but settled for that of ‘Bharat’ because of his busy schedule. Sanjay feels that only two characters in the epic are worthwhile from the acting point of view – Meghnad and Bharat – and has derived immense satisfaction portraying the latter.
Sanjay had aspired to become an Air Force pilot, but his parents forbade him after the family lost a number of relatives, who were in the services, during the ’71 Pak war. But that hardly seems to have made any difference, as he is now ‘flying high’ in terms of popularity.
Why did he choose to become an actor, and not a doctor or engineer? “Well, for one thing, I can’t report to anyone. I like to work independently, without someone else dictating terms. This wouldn’t have been possible had I gone for technical education.” He also confesses that he does not have the ‘brains’ needed for the medical profession.
“Apart from that. I want to be known all over the world, and being a film and TV actor is the one way in which I can do it.”
He is very ‘down to earth’ in his outlook; has well-defined opinions. “I know that I will remain popular as long as the serial is being televised. When the fans mob me, it’s the Bharat that they want, not Sanjay Jog the person,” he says.
He is contemptuous of the ‘involvement’ story that his contemporaries and describes it as ‘bullshit.’ “If I was really involved in my role, I would actually murder or rape the other person, as the script demands. A man can never forget his own self. Acting is purely mechanical.
“Acting is as easy as falling off a log,” he quotes, “And anyone who can react to a situation without being camera-conscious, can act.”
Being conversant with the technical aspects of film making helps in the sense that the crew is happy with you. “I don’t have to be cued for my movements, since I know when the camera will zoom in or pan away.”
Sanjay describes himself as ‘super-superstitious.’ He is very religious minded, and prays regularly. When asked whether he would have done Bharat’s role had he been a ‘nastik,’ he shoots back, “Why not?” He adds, “Acting is my profession, and I’m being paid for the role. The role one plays, is only an image, similar to a mirror image of oneself. Your prejudices and beliefs should not affect the roles you do.”
“I would prefer to play the villain,” Sanjay says. Why? Because ‘it offers a better opportunity to display your acting capabilities, as you are not a villain in real life.”
He also has his priorities fixed. “I am financially comfortable and can afford my present lifestyle for my whole life. But I want to act for a few more years, and then try my hand at direction.”
Having picked up Gujarati and Punjabi from his friends in Bombay, why hasn’t he acted in Punjabi films so far, when he has done a few Gujarati films? “A hero’s concept for the Punjabi film makers is a tall, well-built man, which I am not. I don’t want to act in a Punjabi film and fail.
“Heroes in Marathi films were also hefty and well-built a few years ago. However, over the years, the men who play the lead have shrunk in size. I am waiting for this to happen in Punjabi films.”
His dislikes are stronger than his likes. “If I don’t get a thing I love, I don’t care much. But if I see something I hate, I will get it removed, no mater what it costs me.
“I am still very fond of theatre, but can’t get involved for lack of time. But I will do a role if it is monetarily as well as creatively satisfying. The same goes for my film roles, too.”
The recent spotlight has not affected his lifestyle a wee bit, and he is neither elated for irritated by the attention he gets. “I still eat the same food, smoke, drink, and meet my friends.”
His Hindi film “Jigarwala’ is due to be released shortly, and seven more are on the floor, five of them with the same director. And he will try his hand at direction only in 1990.
“I don’t believe in giving ‘messages’ for my fans. I’m just a normal human being, no supernatural.”
But then, people can learn a lot from his motto, ‘live and let live.’
(The Hitavada, Nagpur, December 1, 1988)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Namaste Sir, I am a viewer who grew up during the good old days of Ramayan and Mahabharat. Recently I brought the Ramayan DVD Set. After seeing Sanjay Sir's act as Bharat I could not help but try to find where he has been. It’s been ages since we saw him. But there is hardly any information available about him. I am told he isn’t around anymore but I can't recollect having heard or read about such bad news. After a lot of searching I found your blog. Can you tell us where is he, what happen to him and when, what year. Can you shed more light on him works post Ramayan.

Post Ramayan most of the cast just vanished. We wonder where Deepti ji is now, why Sunil Sir never took another acting assignment, how is Arvind Sir doing among others. Arun Sir was probably the only actor from the group who continued to act. It’s been about 22 years since Ramayan was aired. We wish someone as experienced as you did a feature on these artists who have played an important part in our growing up years, have inculcated some basic values with their portrayal telling us how they have been doing all these years. Thank you.

Anand Bhisey said...

Unfortunately, Sanjay Jog is no more. Passed away recently.

Anonymous said...

Ohh!!! Did he he pass away, when? how? I don't remember anything being flashed in the news. Please sir can you give us more information on his cause of death and the date and what did he do After Ramayan. Thanking you in anticipation

Anonymous said...

Sanjay Sir is no more!!!! What happened to him and when?? I heard about Jayashree ji (Kaushalya) and Vijay Sir (Indrajit) but never about Sanjay Sir. Pleasem please tell us what happened to him.

Rest In Peace Sanjay Sir. You continue to live through your performances and in the hearts of your admirers.